Town Map & Tour

Getting around

BACK TO THE MAP &TOUR

1.     Royal Border Bridge

2.     Berwick Castle

3.     Coronation Park

4.     Railway Station

5.     Castle Vale Park

6.     Berwick Infirmary

7.     Bell Tower

8.     Lord’s Mount

9.     Cowport & The Stanks

10.   The Barracks

11.   Holy Trinity Parish Church

12.   Wallace Green

13.   Public Library

14.   Police Station

15.   The Town Hall

16.    Maltings Theatre & Cinema

17.    Tourist Information Centre

18.    Meg’s Mount

19.    Scotsgate

20.    Cumberland Bastion

21.    Brass Bastion

22    Windmill Bastion

23.   Gunpowder Magazine

24.   Lions House

24.   Ravensdowne Ice-houses

26.   Old Charity School

27.   King’s Mount

28.   Kipper Hill

39.   Pier & Lighthouse

30.   The Russian Gun

31.    Governor’s House

32.    Palace Green

33.    Main Guard

34.    Coxon’s Tower

35.   Saluting Battery & Wellington Terrace

36.    Quay Walls

37.    The Quayside

38.    King’s Arms Hotel

39.    Dewar’s Lane Granary

40.    Tweed Dock

41.    Lifeboat House

42.    Bridge Street & Lowry Trail

43.    Berwick Old Bridge

44.    Bankhill Ice-house

45.    Royal Tweed Bridge

46.    Lady Jerningham Statue

Click here for the FREE downloadable Royal Geographical Society downloadable self-guided audio walking tour of Berwick-upon-Tweed

Berwick Old Bridge

There had been at least five previous bridges across the Tweed at Berwick. The wooden Tudor bridge that stood when King James VI /I passed through the town at the Union of the Crowns in 1603 was in such a poor state or repair that it was decided that a new bridge should be constructed.  Building began in 1611 and it was finally finished in 1634.

The total length of the bridge is 1,164 feet.   It has fifteen arches, which vary in height, the highest  (45 feet) being the second from the Berwick side of the river to allow boats to pass underneath along the deep-water channel.  The roadway has recesses at either side where foot passengers could take refuge to avoid wheeled traffic.

The sixth pier from the Berwick side is wider and higher than the rest. A tollgate on this pier marked the boundary between the Borough of Berwick-upon-Tweed and what was, until the 1840s, part of County Durham.